May 14, 2014

the chocolate cake that changed my life (and my waist)

Since living here I've made our favorite chocolate for friends on a few different occasions and gotten fabulous feedback. Such good reviews, in fact, that one friend asked me to make a couple cakes for a party she was in charge of at work. Well those co-workers of hers thought the cake was pretty darn good, too, so I decided it was time to share the recipe.

This recipe was submitted to our family cookbook by my uncle Creed, and I'm not sure where he got it, but it has always been a favorite in our home growing up and in my own home now. It's moist and rich and delicious! And, importantly, easy :)

The Chocolate Cake That Changed My Life

2 C sugar
1 3/4 C flour
3/4 C cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 C milk
1/2 C vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 C boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Grease and flour two nine inch round pans or one bundt pan. (I can't hear the word bundt without thinking of this clip from My Big Fat Greek Wedding. bahaha). Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 30-40 minutes. Cool completely, then frost. 

And here's where the cake gets really easy... I frost it with chocolate fudge frosting from a can. No joke. That's the way I like it. It's not because I'm too lazy to make frosting, I just like the canned stuff best. My parents think I'm crazy, but there you go. 

If you do make a bundt, I recommend microwaving your frosting for a few seconds and drizzling the frosting on. Even easier. But a layer cake is always beautiful, too. We do that when I feel like doing more work :) 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I'm just like everyone else, I LOVE comments :)